This job posting has expired, no longer accepting applications, or has been filled.
Utility Plant Specialist (Mechanical) - Water Purification Plant
The City of Richmond Department of Public Utilities seeks two qualified candidates to fill the Utility Plant Specialist - Mechanical positions in the Water Purification Plant Division.
- Performing maintenance and repair to various types of mechanical equipment and plumbing;
- Assisting maintenance personnel in other classifications, such as plumbers and electricians, in performing their duties;
- Operating welder, drill, saw, grinder and other power equipment as necessary in performance of tasks;
- Performing installations and repairs of AC compressors, fan motors, valves and pumps;
- Determining repairs necessary on faulty equipment and makes repairs when necessary or notifies proper maintenance personnel to handle repairs;
- Maintaining log of work orders;
- Performing snow and ice removal.
The selected candidate will be required to work 24 hour on call, weekend and holiday call duty as scheduled.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Considerable knowledge of principals of boiler maintenance and of HVAC; centrifuges; and electrical and mechanical equipment used at a utility plant (e.g. water purification, pumping, and wastewater equipment). Knowledge of utility plant operations and safety practices and principles. Demonstrated skills in disassembling pumps; plumbing; reading and understanding drawings, blueprints, and maps. Skilled in using and operating various equipment safely and correctly and using chemicals properly. Demonstrated ability to operate back-flow testing equipment; cranes and other equipment for hoisting and pulling equipment; operate equipment for laser alignment of pumps and motors; operate refrigerant equipment such as gauges, recovery machines, leak detectors, and scales; problem solve and troubleshoot.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or GED
- No experience required
- Prefer two years of experience in a related field
- Advancement through the broadband depends in part on additional experience (Zone II, minimum of 12 additional months of experience; Zone III, minimum of 18 additional months of experience; and Zone IV minimum of 36 additional months of experience
- An equivalent combination of training and experience (as approved by the department) may be used to meet the minimum qualifications of the classification
- Requires a valid Commonwealth of Virginia Driver's License with a satisfactory driving record or must obtain a valid Commonwealth of Virginia Driver's License within 30 days of hire.
- Zone II requires all the above plus Forklift certification OR the ability to obtain Forklift certification within 90 days of hire.
- Zone III requires all the above plus Journeyman level work experience.
- Zone IV requires all the above plus VA Contractor Board Journeyman License.