Carpenters are responsible for construct, erect, install, and repair structures and fixtures of wood, plywood, and wallboard, using carpenter's hand tools and power tools; install framing, and seal joints between plasterboard or other wallboard to prepare wall surface for painting or papering. Carpenters
work with blueprints, specifications, and drawings to build, maintain and repair various types of structures.
- Designs, constructs, remodels, retrofits and repairs interior and exterior structures made of wood, drywall, plaster, concrete and brick.
- Study specifications in blueprints, sketches or building plans to prepare project layout and determine dimensions and materials required.
- Shape or cut materials to specified measurements, using hand tools, machines, or power saw.
- Measure and mark cutting lines on materials, using ruler, pencil, chalk, and marking gauge.
- Verify trueness of structure, using plumb bob and level. Assemble and fasten materials to make framework or props, using hand tools and wood screws, nails, dowel pins, or glue.
- Remove damaged or defective parts or sections of structures and repair or replace, using hand tools.
- Assemble or install metal framing or decorative trim for windows, doorways, or vents.
- Cut and screw together metal channels to make floor or ceiling frames, according to plans for the location of rooms or hallways.
- Erect scaffolding and ladders for assembling structures above ground level.
- Other job duties as needed.
- High school degree or equivalent education.
- Participates in a union apprenticeship program or is a Union Carpenter.
- Scaffold, crane signaling and rigging, aerial lift, healthcare, and powder actuated tools certifications/trainings a plus.
Power Construction At A Glance
Classet is a skilled trades network. Once you have applied, A Classet recruiter will reach out within 24 hours to learn more about your career search! Classet helps everyone from experienced crafstmen & women to eager apprentices find new opportunities. We are here to help you find the right fit for your career.