Sr. Engineer - Building Energy Efficiency
GTI Energy, the nation’s leading research, development, and training organization serving energy markets, has an opportunity for a Senior Engineer within its Research and Engineering Group in Des Plaines, IL. The qualified candidate will perform R&D functions in collaboration with senior staff in heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC), energy-efficient, grid-interactive efficient buildings (GEBs), microgrids, energy storage, heat pumps, and renewable energy generation focus areas. Additional focus areas include hybrid (dual-fuel) equipment for residential and commercial use, development and evaluation of electric heat pumps, water heating, industrial processes, and low-carbon fuel research. The work will involve interacting and collaborating with utilities, private industries, government agencies, universities, and national and international laboratories. The candidate for this position is expected to lead and develop multiple projects and establish and expand competency areas.
GTI Energy offers generous benefits, competitive salaries, career advancement, and the opportunity to work in a professional R&D environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We are proud of what we do because our work matters. GTI Energy is working toward solving global energy challenges in transitioning to a low-carbon economy. We have a proven track record in producing innovative ideas and commercializing solutions to deliver clean and reliable energy. At GTI Energy, we deliver innovative technology solutions for safe, efficient, and responsible energy.
So, what does that mean for you? You will work in a positive and respectful work culture that fosters growth, collaboration, and opportunity. You will be supported by competitive compensation, incentives, and benefits, while enjoying purposeful work that drives improvement of delivering clean energy to the world.
The position will be based in the Chicagoland area at the GTI Energy Headquarters. We offer a hybrid/core work week, where employees are remote Mondays and Fridays, and required to be on-site Tuesday through Thursday.
- Provide expertise in expertise in electrification – energy storage (thermal and electric), electric heat pumps, and GEBs.
- Perform low-carbon fuel research in laboratory and field projects.
- Develop system-level modeling capabilities in electric heat pumps and GEBs.
- Perform advanced data analysis with commercially available tools such as spreadsheets or Python.
- Prepare technical project documents, test results reports, and research publications to fulfill project obligations.
- Travel to participate in field site visits, pilot implementations, and industry events.
- Manage analytical and experimental projects, including budgets, schedules, and deliverables, and manage and direct internal and external staff, vendors, contractors, and consultants.
- Support and lead proposal efforts to secure new research, development, and demonstration contract research.
- Perform advanced data analysis with commercially available tools such as spreadsheets or Python/R.
- Travel up to 30% to support field deployment activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Fundamental understanding of heat transfer, thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, heat pumps, heat pumping cycles, refrigeration, and power electronics.
- Familiarity with standard tools (drills and pipe wrenches), construction materials (struts and bolts), plumbing (Pex, Propress, and Sharkbite fittings), electrical (AWG gauge, conduit, and power disconnects).
- Interest in learning new skills and energy technology topics.
- Active and recognized participation in professional societies is a plus.
- Individuals who are self-motivated and able to work independently with simple direction.
- A Bachelor of Science in an engineering or scientific field
- 7 years of relevant work experience or an advanced degree and 5 years of relevant experience.
- Relevant Industry Certifications (Licensed Professional Engineer, etc.) are a plus.
- Experience with instrumentation, data acquisition, and control systems specifications (e.g., National Instruments (NI), Campbell Scientific).
- Prior industry/academic laboratory research experience.
- Programming experience (Engineering Equation Solver, MATLAB, Python, and HPDM) is a plus.
- Experience identifying new technical and/or business areas of activity is a plus.
- Experience in laboratory development testing electric heat pump systems, components, and energy storage is a plus.
GTI Energy is committed to developing a barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. If you require any accommodation, please e-mail us at HumanResources@gti.energy and we’ll work with you to meet your accessibility needs. You must have legal authorization to work for GTI Energy on your date of hire with no further action required by GTI Energy. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and give consideration to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, or genetic information.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
GTI Energy At A Glance
Classet is a skilled trades network. Once you have applied, A Classet recruiter will reach out within 24 hours to learn more about your career search! Classet helps everyone from experienced crafstmen & women to eager apprentices find new opportunities. We are here to help you find the right fit for your career.