The Service Technician is responsible for the diagnosis and repair of customer and dealership vehicles and the completion of assigned repair order in an effective and competent manner according to manufacturer standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Possess thorough knowledge and understanding of all phases of the job.
- Performs diagnosis and repair of assigned vehicle upon presentation of a valid repair order.
- Visually inspect each vehicle serviced to ensure that any needed services or repairs will be discovered.
- Prepare and present accurate repair estimates to customers.
- Perform quality work; complete all details of the task or project being careful not to leave any “loose ends”.
- Communicate with advisor to explain the diagnosis and subsequent repairs required .Provide relevant and timely information to management, co-workers, subordinates and clients.
- Install only those parts described in repair order and return all warranty parts to Parts Department and dispose of used parts as directed.
- Complete all work according to the applicable safety requirements and published procedures.
- Ability to understand problems and/or problem situations and make timely and practical decisions; getting management involved as needed. Ability to follow detailed instruction with minimal supervision.
- Ability to respond to clients, co-workers, both internal and external staff in a prompt and courteous manner. Display a willingness to help others accomplish their objectives.
- Ability to embrace change; ability to adapt to necessary changes and constantly strive to improve.
- Return all special tools and equipment to their proper storage areas after using and return un-used parts to the Parts Department.
- Responsible to maintain personal tools and special tools.
- Provide any administrative assistance necessary to complete warranty repair orders and other tasks as assigned by management.
- Review the technical bulletins and other publications as assigned by management.
- Effective time management; schedule work to maximize productivity and avoid wasting time; prioritize daily repairs and tasks.
- Follow assigned work schedule and arrive at work before your scheduled start time and be at your work station productively engaged by the scheduled time.
- Maintain a positive attitude and disposition at all times.
- Complies with all safety rules and use all appropriate safety and personal protection equipment as required.
- Complies and cooperates with established company policies, procedures, and rules.
- Follow established dress code policy at all times.
- Safeguard customer and Dealer information per established policy.
- Exemplifies organizational culture and holds others in department accountable for doing the same.
- Accomplishes all current and future tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
- Other related duties as may be assigned.
Skills and Abilities
Ability to deal with moderately complicated procedures and tasks requiring independent judgment to select options and/or evaluate results.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Has no responsibility for the direction of others.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume. Ability to apply concepts of algebra and geometry.
Includes a basic level of integrated computer and business related software such as Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Explorer, Shelly Extranet.
Ability to maintain mutual interaction with fellow employees. Initiates conversation and has basic social skills. Builds and maintains relationships confidences with others. Demonstrates active listening skills and conveys enthusiasm, energy, and direction through conversation.
Requires exchanging complex information or resolving problems; position has some accountability for ensuring customer satisfaction. Regular contact both inside and outside the company to carry out company policy and programs: and requires abilities of persuasion and negotiation. I often deal with persons of substantially higher rank in these instances.
Tools and Equipment:
Includes a basic level of use of office tools such as telephone, fax, copier, scanner and calculator; hand tools; specialized tools; overhead equipment; diagnostic equipment; hoist; tire mounting and balancing equipment; alignment system; and hydraulic press
California Driver’s License; federal Air Conditioning 609 License required; ASE Certified Technician preferred; Manufacturer Training certifications preferred.
Work from detailed instructions and consult with others on unusual decisions but do not typically share responsibility for final decisions.
Errors or incorrect decisions may result in injury, damage to property, dealership reputation or financial loss.
The minimum educational requirement to successfully perform the duties required of this position is an associate degree or 2 years of formal training beyond high school.
The minimum experience requirement to successfully perform the duties required of this position is six months to one year.
An employee in this position should be able to comfortably stand, walk, sit, bend, grasp, talk, hear, see and have regular attendance to perform their assigned work. They will also be required to be able to use hands and fingers. If an employee is asked to occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds the employee must use approved safety techniques and when lifting loads heavier than 50 pounds, use two or more people to lift the load. Where requested and otherwise appropriate, reasonable accommodation will be provided in the absence of any of these abilities.
An employee in this position will be required to work in the following environments: standard office, equipment and machinery and outdoor weather conditions. The noise level will be moderate.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. While this list is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, the dealership reserves the right to revise the functions and duties of the job or to require that additional or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (i.e. emergencies, changes in personnel, work load, rush jobs, or technological developments.)
Irvine BMW At A Glance
Classet is a skilled trades network. Once you have applied, A Classet recruiter will reach out within 24 hours to learn more about your career search! Classet helps everyone from experienced crafstmen & women to eager apprentices find new opportunities. We are here to help you find the right fit for your career.