Service Manager - Commercial HVAC
The Service Manager leads staff members who install, repair, and maintain heating and air conditioning systems in commercial buildings. This manager routinely works directly with service and install technicians, dispatch personnel and other managers to ensure customer satisfaction while meeting departmental goals and objectives. Presenting himself as a senior company representative, the Service Manager often communicates directly with customers, vendors, and suppliers to ensure accurate communication of job or project status and requirements.
The HVAC Service Manager directs daily operations of the HVAC Service Department by successfully performing the following tasks, duties and responsibilities:
- Directly responsible for P/L performance of the Service Department and delivering results
- Annual growth of the Service Base to meet organization goals
- Oversee all Service Department staff including Dispatch and Service Supervisors
- Responsible for accurate and timely processing of all Work Order generated in the department
- Responsible to assure the Company RMP is strickly adhered to, including minimum contribution margins for all work performed.
- Schedules, directs and provides technical support for HVAC technicians to meet service demands and customers’ expectations
- Recruits, interviews, hires and trains HVAC technicians as required to meet workload demands, and company or customer expectations and requirements
- Supervises and directs the HVAC technicians to effectively perform the functions of equipment repair, installation, start-up, operation, and other duties as required to ensure customer satisfaction
- Reviews technicians’ work to ensure quality meets established standards, techniques and safety requirements; makes recommendations as requirements to improve quality and productivity
- Responsible for HVAC technicians’ performance appraisals, reviews and for setting improvement goals per company requirements
- Establishes and maintains a regular training program to ensure that HVAC technicians are properly trained on latest service techniques and safety procedures for equipment and general working conditions
- Conducts group and one-on-one meetings with technicians as required for training, evaluation and general communication; participates and/or conducts regularly scheduled departmental safety/informational meetings
- Communicates regularly with dispatch to ensure that personnel are being scheduled properly by skill level, efficiency and training requirements
- Communicates daily with dispatch reporting on project information, estimated time to complete jobs, labor hours and parts or material used
- Maintains communication with vendors and factory personnel concerning warranty issues, product recall notices, operational problems with products, premature failures and other issues as they apply to products and equipment sold and serviced by the HVAC Service Department
- Develops and monitors budgets, goals and objectives to insure departmental profitability
- Reviews work orders, invoices and time reports for accuracy, and to ensure timely cash flow and maintain minimal account receivables
- Specifies and makes sure that required parts are ordered in timely fashion to ensure work deadlines are met
- Ensures that all company/department policies are being followed by all HVAC technicians
- Oversees assigned HVAC service vehicles, monitors vehicles to ensure they are being maintained and operated as required and used according to company policy
- Monitors HVAC service vehicles to ensure they are in an acceptable condition to allow technicians to efficiently work out of the vehicle, and that an adequate inventory of parts and material are maintained
- Keeps current with latest factory OEM training on current products, coordinates HVAC technician training and maintains training records to ensure personnel maintain proficiency in preventive maintenance, start-up, trouble-shooting, and repair of supported equipment
- Generate sales leads; and promotes and develops maintenance/service agreements; estimates and generates bids for contract projects/work; growing the business
- Manages larger installation, start-up and commissioning projects; coordinates and directs a team of technicians and/or installing contractors; performs prestart-up inspections and completes turnover of equipment to owner
- Work with other departmental managers to meet company and departmental goals and objectives
- Hire, develop and manage sales team
- Other duties as assigned
The HVAC Service Manager should possess the following skills, characteristics and abilities:
- Excellent customer service and sales skills
- Five years HVAC Management related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Some post-high school education from college, trade school or military
- Exhibit an in-depth knowledge and understanding of HVAC and refrigeration systems
- Has the ability to read, interpret, utilize and train on manuals, schematics and control circuits related to HVAC and refrigeration systems
- Technical aptitude with knowledge of local codes and an ability to use resources at hand to find solutions
- Excellent leadership skills to enhance team productivity and standards of work produced
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; and strong conflict management skills
- Detail oriented and highly organized with the ability to handle multiple tasks and assignments
- Good computer skills: knowledge of and proficiency in common office applications such as MS Word, Excel, Outlook and general software navigation
- Possess a strong personal desire for improvement; and the desire to motivate HVAC technicians to be better tomorrow than they are today
- Have a clean, neat and professional appearance; a top performer who can instill pride of workmanship in himself and in others
- Valid driver’s license with a clean driving record and background
- Ability and willingness to work non-standard schedule: nights, weekends and holidays as/if required
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position is a largely sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand, as necessary.
This job operates in both an office and a field environment. Must be able to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time.
Reasonable accommodation will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions unless doing so presents an undue hardship on the Company’s business operations.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Employee understands the above job description and agrees to comply with and be subject to its conditions. Employee further agrees this job description does not alter his/her at-will employment status. Employee understands that the Company reserves the right to delegate, remove, expand or change any and all responsibilities. Employee acknowledges that he/she can fulfill the above duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Page Mechanical Group At A Glance
Classet is a skilled trades network. Once you have applied, A Classet recruiter will reach out within 24 hours to learn more about your career search! Classet helps everyone from experienced crafstmen & women to eager apprentices find new opportunities. We are here to help you find the right fit for your career.