Thank you for your interest in employment with the Desert Research Institute. We want your application process to go smoothly and quickly. We ask that you keep in mind the following when completing your application:
- Once you start the application process you cannot save your work. Please ensure you have all required attachment(s) available to complete your application before you begin the process.
- Required attachments are listed below on the posting. Your application will not be considered without the required attachments.
- Please see the application instructions under each posting for information on submittal deadlines.
If you need assistance or have questions regarding the application process, contact Human Resources Hotline at (775) 673-7431 or
The Desert Research Institute (DRI) is seeking a full-time Senior Plumber Specialist with the aptitude, desire, and ability to complete a range of duties from routine plumbing repairs to maintaining /installing specialized laboratory systems on its Reno, NV campus.
Besides performing routine maintenance repairs, this position is also responsible for and performs more complex, technical, and skilled plumbing/pipe fitting duties for centralized laboratory systems such as compressed air and vacuum; deionized water; and domestic and industrial hot and cold water. This position will also help maintain campus mechanical systems including chillers, cooling towers, air handlers, boilers, fan coil units, motors, pumps, and fans. Must have the ability to install gas lines, and related fixtures and fittings; maintain and repair above and underground waste systems; read and draw diagrams of piping systems normally associated with a large building complex; provide information to outside contractors on building modifications and new installations regarding the existing structure and systems, and work required; reviews completed work by outside contractors for compliance with specifications, plans and codes; submits recommendations for plumbing work.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Completion of a certified plumbing/pipefitting apprenticeship program and five years of varied journey level plumbing, pipe fitting and controls experience; OR nine years of progressive higher level of plumbing, pipe fitting and controls experience; OR any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education
- Must be competent in performing complex and varied plumbing and pipefitting tasks
- Knowledge of backflow preventers
- Knowledge of methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in the operation, maintenance, and repair of buildings, plumbing and mechanical systems
- Knowledge of HVAC mechanical, carpentry, and electrical systems
- Experience mentoring fellow employees
- Basic computer skills with Microsoft Office suite
- Current Nevada/City of Reno Journeyman Plumber license or ability to obtain within six months of employment.
- A valid Nevada driver's license or ability to obtain one by date of hire
- Ability to obtain Backflow prevention certification within 6 months of hire
Technologist Grade 36, minimum starting salary of $59,105.72. Candidates will be hired at the level that is comparable to their experience, skills, and abilities.
DRI offers a benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, and life insurance (Choice of three health insurance plans that can be supplemented with flexible spending accounts or health savings accounts); PERS 17.50% retirement match, 10 hours of annual AND 10 hours sick leave accrued per month, 12 paid holidays, and educational benefits. Additionally, there is no state income tax or social security deduction. This position is eligible for relocation assistance.
Working hours are Monday – Friday 6:00 am – 2:30 pm. This position is also required to participate in the on-call rotation.
Perform physical tasks, such as lifting objects more than 50 lbs., climbing ladders and working at heights up to 30 ft.; frequently stooping, bending, kneeling, and the ability to work safely in a construction environment.
Conditions of Employment
- Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
- Technologist positions have a 6-month probationary period where your job performance will be reviewed at 3 months and then 6 months, at which time you may be taken off probation with satisfactory reviews. Unsatisfactory reviews during the first 6 months may result in termination.
Please upload the following documents in the specified section:
- Current resume
- Contact information for three professional references, to be contacted at the appropriate phase of the recruitment process based on applicant permission.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply immediately. For questions regarding this position, or assistance with your application please call the recruiting office at 775-673-7335.
Posting Close Date
Note to Applicant
Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications. The search committee will use this information during the initial review of application materials.
References will be contacted at the appropriate phase of the recruitment process based on applicant notification and permission.
Newly hired faculty and postdoctoral fellows must assure that their official transcript is submitted to the Human Resources Office within 30 calendar days from the effective date of employment. Academic degrees must have been awarded by regionally accredited institutions.
This position may require a criminal background check to be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
As part of the hiring process, applicants for positions in the Nevada System of Higher Education may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform job-related tasks.
DRI employs only U.S. citizens and aliens authorized to work in the U.S. DRI only sponsors aliens applying for research faculty or postdoctoral fellow positions (J-1 or H-1B Visas).
All applicants hired by the Desert Research Institute are subject to E-Verify.