This job posting has expired, no longer accepting applications, or has been filled.
PCT Apprentice RUSH Oak Park Hospital
Location: 520 S Maple Avenue Oak Park, IL 60304
Hospital: RUSH Oak Park Hospital
Department: Nursing Administration
Work Type: Full Time (Total FTE between 0.9 and 1.0)
Shift: Shift 1
Work Schedule: 12 Hr Shift (7:00:00 AM - 7:00:00 AM)
You will be hired into a four week Apprentice training program with coursework (8 hours, 5 days a week) and upon completion of the CNA training, will promote into a PCT role with the option to work a variety of shifts (8 or 12 hr, days, evenings, part time fulltime, etc.)
The PCT Apprentice will be enrolled in an external training program Following the completion of the mandatory program, candidates will transition into a full-time position as a Patient Care Technician. The PCT Apprentice role is a temporary position that may not be held beyond the duration of the corresponding career pathway program. Reporting to the Unit Leadership.
The PCT Apprentice performs a variety of clinical and environmental tasks under the direction of the Clinical Instructor, Registered Nurse and/or Preceptor. The PCT Apprentice duties are of a technical nature requiring specialized training and skill. The PCT Apprentice demonstrates the ability to care for patients of all ages in the clinical setting. The PCT Apprentice exemplifies the Rush mission, vision, and values and acts in accordance with Rush policies and procedures.
PCT Apprentice Responsibilities Under Clinical Instructor, Registered Nurse and/or Preceptor supervision/guidance:
Assists the RN in the delivery of patient care.
- Maintains a safe patient environment.
- Sets priority of duties based on needs of patient and unit.
- Participates in the implementation of individualized plans of care.
- Assists patients in activities of daily living.
- Performs routine procedures, treatments and specimen collections.
- Assists RN or physician with advanced procedures.
- Assists the nurse in the management of uncomplicated tubes and drains.
- Performs specific patient care procedures such as blood glucose testing, specimen collection, etc.
- Immediately reports any changes in patient condition to the Clinical Instructor.
- Communicates all pertinent information to the appropriate team member throughout the shift and to the oncoming shift.
Transports patients and (other) items as needed.
- Assists with admission, discharge, and transport of patients.
- Transports laboratory specimens and patient belongings as required.
- Obtains blood products, supplies and equipment as necessary.
Maintains a safe and orderly, well-equipped environment.
- Maintains a safe work environment: Keeps patient rooms and unit orderly, according to guidelines and unit routine.
- Orders, organizes and restocks according to unit specifications.
- Replenishes patient room supplies.
- Other duties as needed or assigned.
- After completion of external training the program the PCT Apprentice may fill the Patient Safety Observer Role and/or the Patient Care Sitter Role. This is an entry level clinician serving in the role of a safety assistant who is tasked to provide continuous observation and readiness to safely interrupt a patient’s attempt to flee, self-harm (e.g. falls) or disrupt medical interventions critical to safe care of patients due to medical, psychiatric or neuro-cognitive disorders
- Assists the Registered Nurse (RN) in the observation of the patient.
- Orient patient to room and environment every hour or as needed.
- Engage in conversations to calm patient, reorient patient or guide patient to prevent harm to patient or self.
- Provides observation and is in the line of sight of assigned patient.
- Intervenes and calls for assistance when patient attempts to interfere with care or medical devices.
- Calls RN/PCT team for questions, concerns, and patient care needs.
- Reports any change(s) in patient behavior or condition to RN and/or Charge RN.
- Accompanies patients off the unit for all tests or procedures.
- Partners with RN to determine if additional security is necessary when patient(s) are off unit for testing.
- Reports to charge RN or designee for assignment of duties.
- Provides status updates to incoming and off going care team.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient information.
- Communicates all pertinent information to the RN/PCT throughout the shift.
- Maintains customer service focus during all interactions.
- Documents in patient medical record as indicated
Required Job Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Successful completion of internal and department screening/training
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a variety of tasks
- Demonstrates ability to take initiative and follow directions
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Capability to interact effectively with others in demanding situations
- Demonstrates a professional work style in interactions with internal and external customers.
- Demonstrates initiative and self-direction in work habits.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Basic computer skills
Working Conditions and Physical Limitations:
- Ability to walk throughout the Medical Center and to be standing or walking most of the designated shift
- Ability to transport objects, patients and equipment
Disclaimer: The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements
Rush is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Rush University At A Glance
Classet is a skilled trades network. Once you have applied, A Classet recruiter will reach out within 24 hours to learn more about your career search! Classet helps everyone from experienced crafstmen & women to eager apprentices find new opportunities. We are here to help you find the right fit for your career.