Mechanical Design Specialist
Job Description SummaryJoin a global engineering team utilizing advanced design tools and techniques to develop state-of-the-art Computed Tomography (CT) systems. The Mechanical Design Specialist is responsible for supporting the mechanical engineering team through Mechanical Computer Aided Design (MCAD) as well as executing hands-on mechanical laboratory projects.
GE Healthcare is a leading global medical technology and digital solutions innovator. Our mission is to improve lives in the moments that matter. Unlock your ambition, turn ideas into world-changing realities, and join an organization where every voice makes a difference, and every difference builds a healthier world.
Primary responsibilities for this role will be CT gantry and system mechanical engineering design and development through: (1) MCAD design, both 3D modeling and 2D drawings, and (2) prototype part fabrication, assembly and testing utilizing our world class mechanical laboratory.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- With input from engineers, develop 3D design concepts, refine conceptual models into detailed designs, and produce final 2D specifications for mechanical components and assemblies
- Collaborate with engineers, designers, technicians and GEHC suppliers to integrate all design requirements into optimal solutions
- Independently complete detailed design models, assemblies, BOMs and part & assembly drawings using CREO, and maintain archives in Windchill
- Execute Engineering Change Order (ECO) updates in CREO and Windchill for drawings, parts, assemblies and BOMs
- Ensure all necessary documentation is complete such as engineering prints, bills of materials and related product specifications to allow successful transfer to manufacturing
- Fabricate engineering prototype parts using lab tools such as manual and CNC mills, waterjet, lathes, and sheet metal press
- Recommend, design and conduct experiments and testing as required to draw conclusions and develop design solutions
- Utilizing initiative and independent judgment, design lab testing equipment setups
- Incorporate prototype feedback into the design, whether by updating own models or using technical communication to collaborate with other designers or engineers
- Provide strong individual contributions in the context of achieving team goals. Provide technical leadership by assisting engineers in troubleshooting and providing design for manufacturability feedback
- Interact with vendors and customers on engineering design issues
- Comply with EHS regulations and policies
- Associates Degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology or similar
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience as an engineering designer or technician
- Demonstrated proficiency using CREO software, specifically 3D modeling, assembly, and drafting
- Demonstrated experience producing detailed mechanical designs including GD&T
- Demonstrated ability to visualize design concepts, communicate with the use of sketches & models, and independently draw conclusions from technical information
- Experience with mechanical fabrication tools such as manual mill, CNC, lathes, waterjet, and additive printing
- Ability to draw accurate conclusions from test data, malfunctions, or deviations, and implement corrections to the existing design or process
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong mechanical aptitude and problem-solving skills
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work independently toward timely completion of a variety of assignments with outstanding quality
- Design experience with medical products, global teams, and working in a medically regulated industry
- Engineering change process familiarity & experience
- Demonstrated experience identifying and implementing mechanical lab process improvements
We expect all employees to live and breathe our behaviors, to act with humility and build trust, lead with transparency, deliver with focus, and drive ownership - always unyielding integrity.
Our total rewards are designed to unlock your ambition by giving you the boost and flexibility you need to turn your ideas into world-changing realities. Our salary and benefits are everything you’d expect from an organization with global strength and scale, and you’ll be surrounded by career opportunities in a culture that fosters care, collaboration and support.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this position.
While GE HealthCare does not currently require U.S. employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, some GE HealthCare customers have vaccination mandates that may apply to certain GE HealthCare employees.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Relocation Assistance Provided: No
GE Healthcare At A Glance
Classet is a skilled trades network. Once you have applied, A Classet recruiter will reach out within 24 hours to learn more about your career search! Classet helps everyone from experienced crafstmen & women to eager apprentices find new opportunities. We are here to help you find the right fit for your career.