Manager, Business Development
Our team is driven by the desire to make a positive difference in the lives of patients. We are passionate about innovative science and strive to discover and develop novel medicines, to bring value to the healthcare ecosystem, and to address significant unmet medical needs. We foster a culture of innovation, collaboration, transparency, mutual respect, and integrity and an environment where employees feel fulfilled by the work they do and are recognized for the contributions they make.
Escient Pharmaceuticals is a San Diego based a clinical-stage company focused on developing novel therapeutics to address a broad range of neurosensory-inflammatory disorders. The company’s pipeline includes two first-in-class small molecule antagonists targeting MRGPRX2 for the treatment of various mast cell mediated disorders and MRGPRX4 for cholestatic pruritus. Escient is led by an experienced management and scientific team and funded by top-tier life science investors.
The Manager, Business Development will contribute to achieving Escient’s business development and strategic goals and objectives with an emphasis on identifying and evaluating high value business development transactions and support and assist in the development and execution of the Company's strategy.
- Source, screen and track business opportunities that are aligned with corporate goals and objectives by scouting the industry and related events/public disclosures and interacting with academic, biotech, and pharma counterparts
- Lead information research and provide robust analytic and business evaluation support of business development opportunities, potential company strategies, and key business initiatives
- Coordinates input and feedback from other functions
- Identifies primary and secondary market research needs and manages execution and implementation in support of commercial evaluation
- Independently develops and presents robust financial models and market analyses to value projects and terms
- Establishes and maintains strong relationships with academia and pharmaceutical and biotech companies; identifies potential strategic business partners
- Serves as a visible external liaison in the scientific and biotech communities to raise awareness of company’s partnering objectives and capabilities. Represents the company at partnering events.
- Attends partnering and industry conferences related to therapeutic area of interest.
- Monitors and advises the Company’s leadership on competitive intelligence and relevant developments in key indications and therapeutic areas of interest
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, finance or related field required with 3-5 years’ biopharma/ pharmaceutical experience. MBA or other graduate degree a plus.
- Experience in healthcare consulting, investment banking, venture capital or the biotech industry highly preferred.
- Strong knowledge of biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry, drug discovery and development
- Notable leadership qualities, including excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong relationship management skills and strategic thinking
- Proven experience successfully supporting the scientific and business evaluation of technologies, assets, or companies in the biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry
- Demonstrated understanding of pharmaceutical product lifecycle management including drug development, FDA regulations, and commercialization paths
- Strong understanding of drug discovery and development; preclinical to Phase 3
- Outstanding organizational, analytical, interpersonal and communication skills
- Adaptability, flexibility, and willingness to work in a changing environment
- Experience with financial analysis and/ or valuation of biopharmaceutical products and companies and advanced excel/modeling skills required
- A collaborative nature with the knowledge and understanding of the role and importance of working cross-functionally
- Self-starter, highly motivated, results-driven individual; ability to creatively solve problems
- Process-minded with the ability to operate strategically and adapt when appropriate to execute on defined goals in a timely manner
- Experience preparing and delivering presentations to senior management
- Familiarity with biopharma/ pharmaceutical portfolio strategy and competitive dynamics
- Ability to travel as required, up to 20%
Escient Pharmaceuticals, Inc. At A Glance
Classet is a skilled trades network. Once you have applied, A Classet recruiter will reach out within 24 hours to learn more about your career search! Classet helps everyone from experienced crafstmen & women to eager apprentices find new opportunities. We are here to help you find the right fit for your career.