Maintenance Technician I - Rainbow Place
As a Maintenance Technician I, you will be responsible for coordinating tasks and supplies to prepare vacant units for re-occupancy effectively. You will also be responsible for helping the maintenance team with special projects. The Maintenance Technician I is responsible for maintaining the overall condition of the property, including, but not limited to exteriors, common areas, vacant units, floor care, and trash removal, as well as for the property surrounding the building(s), including litter pick-up, janitorial duties, sidewalk clearing, and snow removal in a safe, attractive, and comfortable condition. Performs preventative maintenance and corrective maintenance. Maintains relationships with current and prospective residents and any vendors working on site. The position reports to the Maintenance Supervisor (on properties with over 300 units) or the Property Manager (on properties with less than 300 units).
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Clean/restore recently vacated apartment homes.
- Help maintain the cleanliness of the facility and grounds
- Change bulbs, locks/keys.
- Must be able to install or assist with the installation of appliances
- Exterior/ Interior painting and caulking, light drywall repair
- Ability to physically manage painting, pressure washing, blower breezeways, and parking lots
- Walkthrough upcoming or newly vacant units to forecast repairs.
- Walk completed units to create “punch” lists or quality control checklists.
- Assist with the removal of trash or belongings in vacant units.
- Perform quality control on all systems, appliances, and aesthetics (e.g., matching knobs, closet rods installed, blinds are the same color/style, etc.) to ensure the apartment meets move-in standards.
- Assist in prepping units for painting by performing breakdown and put-back of electric and switch plates and other items as assigned.
- Assist with the diagnosis and assist with minor and routine maintenance/repair, as directed, involving, but not limited to:
- Electrical and plumbing (including water lines)
- A/C and heating systems (both electric and gas)
- Electric and gas appliances (washers, dryers, stoves, ovens, refrigerators, water heaters, etc.)
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and Experience
- One (1) year minimum of prior experience or related experience.
- Must have reliable transportation as necessary to safely and effectively carry out the responsibilities listed above.
- Must be willing and able to travel. Generally, travel commitments are 1-3 days maximum; however, they may occur weekly.
- Excellent communication skills are critical, including verbal and written.
- Must possess superior customer service, communication, and interpersonal abilities.
- Ability to analyze complex problems, propose workable solutions, and implement corrective actions in all situations.
- Able to influence effectively; gain support for new ideas and approaches across multiple stakeholders with varying agendas and shifting priorities
- Superior analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- A strong strategic and business mindset.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Knowledge of apartment building maintenance.
- Knowledge and skilled in minor repairs and hand tool use.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to diagnose and repair routine maintenance issues.
- Knowledge and ability to operate power tools.
- Ability to manage difficult or emotional customer situations; respond promptly to customer needs; Solicit customer feedback to improve service; respond to requests for service and assistance; and meet commitments.
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities; use time efficiently; plan for additional resources; set goals and objectives; and develop realistic action plans.
- Ability to focus on solving conflict, maintain confidentiality, and keep emotions under control.
- Ability to balance team and individual responsibilities; exhibit objectivity and openness to others’ views; give and welcome feedback; contribute to building a positive team spirit.
- Ability to follow instructions and respond to management directives.
Work Conditions & Physical Demands
- Work is performed indoors and outdoors in a residential setting with regular exposure to cold, heat, noise, people, and equipment.
- Able to work independently or as a team member and support managers with special projects.
- Strong collaboration skills – works well across functional areas—excellent relationship-building skills; able to collaborate with various levels of the organization.
- The physical demands described here represent those that an employee must meet to perform the essential functions of this job successfully.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear, and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Values We Seek
Respect: Respect is shown by demonstrating a sense of self-awareness and reflecting on one's own words and actions to adapt, grow, and succeed. We embrace our differences while recognizing what brings us together.
- Collaboration: Collaboration begins with strengthening our relationships with our residents, owners, partners, and employees, relying on strong communication and a deep understanding of the values and needs of all those involved.
- Service-Focused: Understand what internal and external stakeholders value and anticipate their needs; strive to create a meaningful experience and build lasting relationships.
- Performance: Achieving exceptional performance requires us all to work on the right things at the right time and stay aligned with our business fundamentals and priorities. It also requires us to understand the business – carefully and critically analyzing our performance and metrics and weighing options and risks before making decisions.
Expected Hours of Work & Travel
- Must be able to work various shifts when needed to cover during regular business hours, including weekends and evenings.
- Travel required.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Each applicant for employment is solely based on job qualifications, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, age, disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.
Background Check Process
Employment with Millennia Housing Management, Ltd. is contingent on completing a complete background check process, including reference, pre-employment drug testing, credit, and criminal background review.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of the employee's activities, duties, or responsibilities for this job. The employee signature below constitutes the employee's understanding of the requirements, essential functions, and duties of the position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
About The Millennia Companies
Founder and Chief Executive Officer Frank T. Sinito entered the real estate business in 1985 with the purchase of a 14-unit multi-family development in Northeast Ohio, handling all aspects of property management and developing a passion for providing exemplary and caring service to residents. From this start, Sinito went on to acquire additional apartment developments, and, in 1995, he founded The Millennia Companies® (Millennia), a high-performance business enterprise that has grown to operate in a diverse set of sectors; opportunities exist in multi-family real estate development, property management, commercial real estate, hospitality and more. We invite you to thrive in your career here as we serve thousands of residents, clients, and customers throughout our dynamic group of companies.
You can make a difference at Millennia. Do you value respect, service, performance, and collaboration? These values drive our culture and success, and we recruit employees who embody them. When you join our team, you will be part of an environment that fosters growth and enables excellence. You will also meet passionate employees who work together to advance our mission and create a culture of excellence recognized by industry associations. In 2020, Millennia ranked #1 on the Affordable Housing Finance (AHF) list of Top 10 Companies Completing Substantial Rehabilitation, #4 on the AHF list of Top 50 Affordable Housing Owners, and #18 on the Multi-Housing News list of Top Developers.
Millennia Housing Management At A Glance
Classet is a skilled trades network. Once you have applied, A Classet recruiter will reach out within 24 hours to learn more about your career search! Classet helps everyone from experienced crafstmen & women to eager apprentices find new opportunities. We are here to help you find the right fit for your career.