Job Description and Duties
UPDATE: This position will consider the Service Assistant (Maintenance) classifications
This position is UNTIL FILLED, with a Final Filling Date of 12/30/23. If you have already submitted your application, you are still being considered.
Under the direction of the Supervising Groundskeeper I, and or the Supervisor of Building Trades or Chief of Plant Operations I, the incumbent is responsible for performing heavy physical labor such as digging and lifting, mowing and edging lawns, keeping sidewalks and streets swept and cleaned and maintaining sprinkler systems. The incumbent also works to ensure that the pressurized and non-pressurized lines are in good working order; refers to schematics or blueprints for location of control boxes and valve locations in order to repair and maintain good working order. The incumbent must be able to operate and maintain motorized driven equipment, work in hot, dry, and dusty conditions and perform general labor tasks related to grounds and gardening maintenance work.
This position is funded by the Diagnostic Center North (DCN), but services the entire Fremont Block campuses of the California School for the Blind (CSB), California School for the Deaf (Fremont) (CSDF) and Diagnostic Center North. The Fremont Block sits on approximately 100 acres of land.
You will find additional information about the job in the Duty Statement.
This position requires a Tuberculosis (TB) Risk Assessment and or Test and a Federal Bureau of Investigation/ Department of Justice Fingerprint Clearance.
This position is on the school campuses of California School for the Blind, California School for the Deaf and Diagnostic Center North.
Applicants who are new to State of California employment will start at the starting range of the salary scale.
SERVICE ASSISTANT (MAINTENANCE)
The DCN operates from a “whole child” perspective focusing on the needs of the students we serve. The DCN is one of three regional assessment centers operated by the State Special Schools and Services Division of the California Department of Education. The Centers provide assessment, training, and technical assistance to all Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) in California. The DCN offers highly specialized services in the following areas:
- Comprehensive, state-of-the-art assessment and educational planning services to assist local school districts in determining the needs of their most complex students;
- On-site technical assistance and consultation in program and instructional design based on the unique needs of each student;
- Professional development opportunities for teachers, administrators and special education staff, including presentations at national, statewide, and local conferences and workshops, provided by specialists with "hands-on" experience;
- Family education opportunities, including consultation, referral, and resource information.
The Diagnostic Center North is located in Fremont, CA
Department Website: http://www.dcn-cde.ca.gov
2. Statement of Qualifications (SOQ) is Required. Please make sure that the SOQ question has been answered. Your response must be NO longer than 1 page, and 12- point font (Arial or Times New Roman). Applications without a SOQ will not be considered.
3. Exam Required for all civil service positions. Has the exam for the specific position you are applying for been taken? If not, please refer to the job bulletin link below regarding the exam for this position:
Dates printed on Mobile Bar Codes, such as the Quick Response (QR) Codes available at the USPS, are not considered Postmark dates for the purpose of determining timely filing of an application.Final Filing Date: Until Filled
Who May Apply
Applications will be screened and only the most qualified applicants will be selected to move forward in the selection process. Applicants must meet the Minimum Qualifications stated in the Classification Specification(s).
How To Apply
Address for Mailing Application Packages
You may submit your application and any applicable or required documents to:
Address for Drop-Off Application Packages
You may drop off your application and any applicable or required documents at:
Required Application Package Documents
- Current version of the State Examination/Employment Application STD Form 678 (when not applying electronically), or the Electronic State Employment Application through your Applicant Account at www.CalCareers.ca.gov. All Experience and Education relating to the Minimum Qualifications listed on the Classification Specification should be included to demonstrate how you meet the Minimum Qualifications for the position.
- Resume is optional. It may be included, but is not required.
- Statement of Qualifications -
Interested individuals MUST submit a SOQ with their application. The SOQ should have a title of "Statement of Qualifications, Your Name," be no more than 1 page, no smaller than 12-point font, and answer the following:
- With consideration for the desired qualifications listed and duties as listed in the duty statement, please describe how your professional experience or education qualifies you for this position.
CDE Diagnostic Center Northern CA At A Glance
Classet is a skilled trades network. Once you have applied, A Classet recruiter will reach out within 24 hours to learn more about your career search! Classet helps everyone from experienced crafstmen & women to eager apprentices find new opportunities. We are here to help you find the right fit for your career.