JOB DESCRIPTION FOR CARPENTER
Job Title: Carpenter
Reports To: Project Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Department: Construction Services
Location: Project Sites
To be an ethical, reliable, and respected contractor with a reputation for successful projects and satisfied clients.
Inspire an environment of excellence that creates opportunities for improvement, adaptability, and advancement.
- We will insure inclusion of all team members.
- We will treat everyone with respect and dignity.
- We will deliver every project safely, within budget, and on schedule.
Constructs, erects, installs and repairs structures and fixtures of wood, plywood, wallboard and other materials conforming to local building codes, by performing the following duties:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Carries out all duties and responsibilities in a manner consistent with the company’s mission statement and vision.
- Studies blueprints, sketches or building plans for information pertaining to type of material required, such as lumber or fiberboard and dimensions of structure or fixture to be fabricated.
- Selects specified type of lumber or other materials.
- Prepares layout.
- Marks cutting and assembly lines on materials.
- Shapes materials to prescribed measurements.
- Assembles cut and shaped materials and fastens them together with nails, dowel pins or glue.
- Verifies trueness of structure with plumb bob, carpenter's level or other instruments designed for such purposes.
- Erects framework for structures and lays sub flooring.
- Builds stairs, lays out and installs partitions and cabinetwork.
- Fits and installs prefabricated window frames, doors, doorframes, weather stripping, interior and exterior trim and finish hardware, such as locks, letter drops and kick plates.
- Constructs forms and chutes for placing concrete.
- Erects scaffolding and ladders for assembling structures above ground level.
- Welds metal parts to steel structural members.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Director of Construction Services, Project Managers, Project Superintendent and/or Corporate Dictate.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Design - Demonstrates attention to detail.
Technical Skills - Pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
Customer Service - Responds promptly to customer needs; responds to requests for service and assistance.
Oral Communication - Listens and gets clarification.
Written Communication - Able to read and interpret written information.
Business Acumen - Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition.
Ethics – Works ethically and with integrity.
Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures.
Dependability - Follows instructions; responds to management direction.
Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; monitors own work to ensure quality.
Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Three to five years construction experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedures manuals. Ability to write routine reports.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
No Computer skills needed.
Certificates and Licenses
No certifications needed
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more.
Method of Evaluation
The accuracy and quality of the results of the performance of the responsibilities as set forth in this job description and the degree of satisfaction expressed by management, peers, staff and fellow employees.
Pentalon Construction At A Glance
Classet is a skilled trades network. Once you have applied, A Classet recruiter will reach out within 24 hours to learn more about your career search! Classet helps everyone from experienced crafstmen & women to eager apprentices find new opportunities. We are here to help you find the right fit for your career.