This job posting has expired, no longer accepting applications, or has been filled.
Distribution Electrician Crew Leader (Network)
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent plus six years of directly related Utility electrical experience, including two years as a journeyman electrician.
Licenses or Certifications:
- Licensed for the operation of commercial vehicles in the state of Texas within ninety (90) days of employment.
- To be considered for employment in this position applicants must comply with Department of Transportation Federal Regulations and the City of Austin Drug Policy.
Working with Austin Energy provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, career development opportunities and more. Please click HERE for more information.
- The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered.
- The Employment Record should be complete with job titles, employment dates, job duties, functions, and responsibilities for each position held. Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your application.
- Please be sure to detail on the application all current and previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- Résumés will not be accepted and statements such as “see résumé” will not be accepted. You may use “N/A” for fields that are not applicable.
- Please note that Austin Energy may close the job posting at any time after 7 days from the date of the initial advertisement. Once the job posting has closed, applications cannot be changed.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
- If you are identified as a top candidate and are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
- This position requires a criminal background investigation.
- This position is categorized as Essential Personnel with the City of Austin. Essential staff are required to work during emergencies or bad weather if they are scheduled to work and, in some cases, when they are not scheduled. Essential employees ensure the continuance of key operations for the City of Austin.
- Work hours may include after hours, holidays, and weekends and may include on-call shifts.
- Shifts may change according to departmental needs.
- Employee may be required to work additional hours outside of regular work schedule.
This position requires a Texas Class A Driver’s License or the ability to acquire one by your hire date. External New Hires must meet the City of Austin’s Driver Record Evaluation ( DRE ) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannothave more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation pointswithin a period of thirty-six (36) months.
(Schedule may vary based on departmental needs)
- Experience in electric utility network constructions and maintenance
- Experience leading others as a Distribution Electrician or Employee in charge.
- Experience in responding to emergencies in the Network system.
- Experience in scheduling and planning switching orders.
- Knowledge of Network Safety Procedures.
- Knowledge of Network Construction and Maintenance Construction Standards.
- Experience prioritizing tasks, tracking projects, and communicating expectations
- Experience providing guidance and training to employees
- Knowledge of ISO 9001 practices
- Plan, organize, schedule and lead crews in completion of assigned work orders, including making task assignments, checking materials ready, performing quality inspections, preparing switching requests, preparation of as built markups and other tasks as needed.
- Communicate with customers to explain purpose of activities that impact services.
- Monitor task completion for personnel assigned to leader.
- Train others to apply sound electrical maintenance and construction techniques in High, Medium and Low voltage electrical distribution systems as well as low voltage process and control systems.
- Interpret, explain and enforce City policies, procedures, electrical codes, specifications and ordinances.
- Perform quality inspections.
- Communicate with supervisor regarding work order planning and status or other issues as needed.
- Monitor compliance and communicate safety issues to personnel assigned to leader.
- Perform repair, installation, and maintenance as required operating all tools and equipment necessary.
- Assist Supervisor as required with performance reviews and evaluations of personnel assigned to the leader.
- Perform emergency electric system restoration as necessary.
- Complete paperwork associated with leading crews.
- Assist in Driver’s Vehicle Condition reports.
- Assist in completing Collision, Property, or Incident Investigations.
- Conduct detailed tailboard meetings with crew as needed to ensure awareness of conditions, hazards, and specifics of work to be performed.
- Responsible for leading utility crews and training other Utility Electricians (minimum of 3 employees, including the crew leader).
- Knowledge of safety rules and procedures when working with energized electrical systems.
- Knowledge of Utility design and construction standards
- Knowledge of OSHA safety regulations.
- Knowledge of City of Austin policy and procedures.
- Knowledge of national electric code and local codes and amendments.
- Knowledge of local environment requirements for construction and maintenance activities
- Skill in estimating time, material and labor for job assigned
- Ability to read and interpret plans, maps, and written specifications
- Ability to use electrical related hand tools, power tools, and hydraulic benders.
- Ability to demonstrate and use electrical related test equipment.
- Ability to use word processing and spreadsheet
- Ability to communicate effectively to subordinates, management and customers
- Ability to work in field conditions, temperature extremes, and in all types of weather conditions.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual’s AIDS, AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
City of Austin At A Glance
Classet is a skilled trades network. Once you have applied, A Classet recruiter will reach out within 24 hours to learn more about your career search! Classet helps everyone from experienced crafstmen & women to eager apprentices find new opportunities. We are here to help you find the right fit for your career.