As a Craftsworker, Carpenter you will make a meaningful difference by supporting a mission-based organization that takes PRIDE in everything we do. Every job at Brookfield Zoo is important to creating a safe, clean, family-friendly environment for our two million annual guests.
The Craftsworker, Carpenter position focuses on carpentry and basic construction related projects/repairs. The position requires good math skills and the ability to think outside of the box. Experience in set design or custom woodworking is a plus. The Craftsworker, Carpenter works with a variety of materials, such as wood, fiberglass, rebar and concrete. The Craftsworker, Carpenter is often called upon to build/construct things that don’t come with blueprints or an instruction manual; they are built to specifications of the client and/or to fit in an allotted amount of space. Projects can vary from day to day, based on work orders, department requests, routine maintenance, or capital projects. Tasks can include such things as roofing; fencing; wood structure repairs; fixing doors/door hardware; installing door systems and windows; fixing ADA building access buttons; fixing shift doors in an animal enclosure; constructing safety fences/barriers for an exhibit; designing and building an automatic animal feeder disguised to look like a tree; or constructing various exhibit elements such as artificial plants, rocks or trees.
The Craftsworker contributes to the success of the Chicago Zoological Society by performing, with direct guidance, skilled and semi-skilled craftworker duties throughout the park, providing a safe environment for guests, staff, and the animal collection. Ensure a functional and well-maintained environment that supports the Society’s mission and identified operating goals, including providing an exceptional guest experience.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Perform skilled crafts duties throughout the park with guidance, ensuring services provided meet section standards, client’s specifications, applicable codes, standards, and program goals and is aesthetically pleasing to guests. This includes routine crafts tasks, as well as those associated with preventive maintenance, special repairs, capital construction, special events, emergency/safety, unanticipated capital projects, and overhead. Establish and maintain productive, cooperative working relationships with clients.
- Participate in the execution of routine maintenance and repair projects.
- As assigned, perform routine inspections of exhibits and facilities. Advise manager of needed repairs and clients requests.
- Advise Lead Craftworker of resource needs. Evaluate schedule and communicate pertinent information to all affected parties.
- Ensure project takes place with the least amount of encroachment upon guests and animal collection.
- Ensure work performed meets standards and specifications and complies with established quality standards.
- Provide Lead with resource needs for budget development. Ensure allocated resources are properly utilized. Provide Lead with information relating to needed repairs and improvements in facilities and exhibits.
- Perform duties associated with the section’s overhead operating program. Complete daily labor allocation sheets with guidance. Attend and participate in meetings as assigned.
- Perform tasks associated with the section’s special events operating program. This includes performing craftworker-type duties and communicating pertinent information to Plant & Facilities Managers and other concerned parties.
- Carry out craftworker tasks associated with the section’s functional programs as assigned.
- Routinely inspect functional, structural, and aesthetic systems in exhibits and facilities and perform minor repairs and maintenance as assigned.
- Acquire understanding of exhibits and facilities section operating program standards.
- Perform crafts work to specified quality standards.
- Advise manager of material needs.
- Carry out tasks associated with the section’s standard operating procedures, which includes equipment and shop maintenance, safety, inventory and purchasing, facility surveys, and utility locations.
- Participate in the section’s emergency response and animal welfare program as assigned.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Position Requirements and Specifications
- Minimum High School diploma or (GED) equivalent.
- Graduate of an accredited Carpenter apprenticeship program and two years of experience at a journeyman level, or an Associate’s degree related to field or four years of equivalent experience required.
- Two years construction experience in related field.
- Proactive, persistent, and helpful.
- English fluency at a professional working proficiency required.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented fashion.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to read, write and perform all required math commensurate with field of responsibility.
- Familiarity with all building codes related to field.
- Knowledge and experience in scheduling, estimating routine duties, purchasing.
- Ability to work efficiently and meet deadlines.
- Valid driver’s license required at time of hire. Illinois residents must possess a valid Illinois driver’s license or obtain one within 90 days of hire. Valid out-of-state driver’s license is required for out-of-state residents.
The preferred qualifications:
- Multilingual ability, Spanish fluency a plus.
Additional Information: This position description summarizes the primary duties and functions of this position, but should not be considered a complete listing of every duty the incumbent may ever be called upon to perform. Incumbent is expected to acquire general knowledge about the Chicago Zoological Society and an understanding of the Society’s mission, vision, and values. Must learn how the department interfaces with Society-wide operations. Must become familiar with and follow Society policies and procedures, as well as Society-wide and area emergency response procedures.
Brookfield Zoo At A Glance
Classet is a skilled trades network. Once you have applied, A Classet recruiter will reach out within 24 hours to learn more about your career search! Classet helps everyone from experienced crafstmen & women to eager apprentices find new opportunities. We are here to help you find the right fit for your career.