Correction Officer / Electrician
The Middlesex Sheriff’s Office (“MSO”) is seeking a qualified professional to work as a Correction Officer/Electrician in the Maintenance Department at the Middlesex Jail and House of Correction in Billerica, MA. The work schedule for this position is a flex schedule between the hours of 6:00AM to 5:00PM. The days off will be Saturday/Sunday. The hours and days off are subject to change and at the discretion of Management. This is a full-time, non-exempt position covered under a collective bargaining agreement (NEPBA, Local 500). The selected candidate must have the ability to attend a twelve-week MSO Correction Officer / Basic Training Academy at the discretion of MSO management.
Under direct supervision of the Assistant Deputy Superintendent I, Facilities Manager and/or the Assistant Superintendent or other employees of higher grade, the responsibilities of the Correction Officer/Electrician include, but are not limited to, the following:
o Install, maintain and repair electrical control, wiring, and lighting systems; read technical diagrams and blueprints;
o Perform general electrical maintenance; inspect transformers and circuit breakers and other electrical components;
o Troubleshoot electrical issues using appropriate testing devices; repair and replace equipment, electrical wiring, or fixtures; circuit breaker replacement and preventive maintenance;
o Follow and comply with national electrical code, state and local building regulations;
o Assist in the troubleshooting of heating and air conditioning systems;
o Perform operation of various test equipment;
o Perform general maintenance duties as needed and assigned;
o When necessary, may function as a line operation officer as needed. Maintains custodial care and control of inmates; patrols facility; makes rounds and takes head counts; observes conduct and behavior of inmates, noting significant behavioral patterns; prevents disturbances; notes and investigates suspicious inmate behavior, including the possibility of contraband, by searching individuals, vehicles, mail, packages, and inmate quarters; develops working relationships with inmates by referring individuals to appropriate supportive services, as needed, to aid in rehabilitation; prepares reports relative to fires, disturbances, accidents, security breaches, and monthly evaluations on inmates; accounts for inmate whereabouts; controls a specific sub-section of the institution and maintains cleanliness and safety of work area; enforces regulations pertaining to meals, recreation, shakedowns, showers, visits, key control, tier calls, cell checks, and inmate movement; assists in the supervision and training of new officers; perform and/or assist in other facilities and maintenance duties as needed and required by management; performs other work as required.
Working Conditions: This position requires:
- Direct contact with inmates/detainees in a secure correctional setting;
- Standing and walking for prolonged periods of time;
- Mandatory overtime based on operational needs in Maintenance;
- Working on call on a 24/7 basis, weekends, nights, and holidays.
- Subject to being forced to work over 8 hours depending on operational needs and may encounter verbal and physical abuse from offenders. Flexibility to work on multiple shifts as required;
- This position may encounter verbal and physical abuse from offenders while working in a correctional facility and will be required to interact with people who are under physical and/or emotional stress.
- Ability to attend an MSO Correction Officer / Basic Training Academy at the discretion of MSO management;
- Possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Journeyman or Master Electrician's License issued by the State Examiners of Electricians;
- Maintain electrical license and the ability to attend any other training as required by the department;
- Strong knowledge of federal, state and local electrical codes;
- Strong written and communication skills, ability to keep accurate records and generate timely reports as required;
- Maintain the yearly training standard as required by the MSO;
- Valid Driver’s License, the right to legally operate a motor vehicle in MA, an acceptable driving record and must be able to pass a criminal background check.
The individual selected for the position of Correction Officer/Electrician shall be cognizant of the confidential and sensitive nature of working in a law enforcement agency and must comply with all institutional rules regarding safety and security.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Must be a Massachusetts resident, have an active valid driver’s license and the right to legally operate a motor vehicle in Massachusetts and pass a criminal background check.
Salary: Starting annual base salary from $78,229 plus additional benefits provided through a collective bargaining agreement. Interested candidates can review this job posting at www.middlesexsheriff.org and may submit a cover letter and resume via email to HR@sdm.state.ma.us.
Submissions must be received by Thursday, November 23, 2023 at 5:00p.m.