Carpenter/Architectural Renovation Technician
The Grounds and Fleet Services unit provides campus wide programs and services and support to include landscape construction and maintenance, comprehensive waste and recycling programs and services and management of the University’s auto shop and motor fleet. Revenue supported programs and services are provided to Transportation, Housing, Dining, Athletics, Campus Recreation and individual colleges and departments.
This position must also be able to perform a variety of tasks at or near journey level in other trade areas. These trades may include, but are not limited to sheet metal fabrication and industrial glass repair. Will provide moving services for faculty & staff (Ex. move desk, chairs, file cabinets, computers, conference furniture). Will assist other trades as needed.
- Performs journey level carpentry in the Carpentry Shop.
- Works on metal or wood stud wall systems.
- Installs and finishes dry wall, installs ceiling systems, flooring, cabinetwork and counter top installations.
- Proficient in trim work, hangs doors, drills and sets door hardware, sets windows, removes walls, installs partitions; alters rooms or adds to existing structures using hand and power tools .
- Knowledgeable of remodeling trades, practices, procedures, techniques, tools and equipment.
- Understands materials, specifications, quality control, cost control, and safety.
- Reads and understands blueprints.
- Knows and functions in at least one other trade and possesses general knowledge of others.
- Assists other trades as required.
High school diploma or equivalency; or demonstrated possession of the competencies necessary to perform the work.
Optional Guidelines: Experience in the Trade(s) areas related to the area of assignment may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
- Must be able to communicate effectively verbally with supervisors and the general public and understand verbal and written instructions and other communications regarding work assignments and other matters.
- Experience in commercial maintenance work including commercial glass repair & replacement in existing buildings.
- Must be able to perform a variety of tasks at or near journey level in other trade areas. These trades may include but are not limited to carpentry, sheet metal fabrication and industrial glass repair.
- Position will provide moving services.
- Will assist other trades as needed.
- Must be able to lift up to 90 pounds occasionally, with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Experience in commercial carpentry, sheet metal fabrication, and industrial glass repair & installation.
- Experience in operating aerial lifts.
- Must have valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to obtain a valid NC Driver’s License withing 60 days of hire and must be maintained.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
North Carolina State University At A Glance
Classet is a skilled trades network. Once you have applied, A Classet recruiter will reach out within 24 hours to learn more about your career search! Classet helps everyone from experienced crafstmen & women to eager apprentices find new opportunities. We are here to help you find the right fit for your career.