Assistant Superintendent - 90344144 - Chicago
Your success is a train ride away!
As we move America’s workforce toward the future, Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority, and the success of our railroad is due to our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
Our values of ‘Do the Right Thing, Excel Together and Put Customers First’ are at the heart of what matters most to us, and our Core Capabilities, ‘Building Trust, Accountability, Effective Communication, Customer Focus, and Proactive Safety & Security’ are what every employee needs to know and do to be most impactful at Amtrak. By living the Amtrak values, focusing on our capabilities, and actively embracing and fostering diverse ideas, backgrounds, and perspectives, together we will honor our past and make Amtrak a company of the future.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Assistant Superintendent has responsibility and oversight for the activities associated with car shops, locomotive shops, repair-in-place tracks and Service & Inspection terminals for operating divisions as directed by the local senior managment. The Assistant Superintendent will work with a team of aproximately 190 craft employees. Responible for servicing, inspecting and repair revenue trains out of Chicago Station.
- Responsible for oversight and / or direct maintenance and support of Amtrak, commuter or State owned equipment.
- Directs the strict implementation of maintenance alerts, FRA, FDA, Amtrak Public Health, Amtrak Environmental regulatory requirements, supplier maintenance instructions and SMPs.
- Implements inspection and servicing process improvements as appropriate to support geographically and temporarily extended areas.
- Implements inspection and mechanical service related safety plans and programs.
- Assists and participates with cross-functional teams, including process focus teams, to ensure proper management and control of inspection and mechanical service project schedules, financials, and resources.
- Assists and participates in the implementation of goals and objectives required to safely and efficiently complete inspection and mechanical service programs and projects within scope, schedule, and budget.
- Monitors the status of materials procurement and ensures proper materials installation.
- Monitors productivity to ensure efficient resource utilization and makes adjustments and procedural changes as required.
- 5+ years of management experience.
- Demonstrated experience in a mechanical field.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience, leading and managing others with different levels of expertise, exhibiting innovative leadership and management skills.
- Demonstrated experience communicating orally and in writing within the corporation and externally.
- Demonstrated knowledge of machinery/rolling stock in a transportation environment to include extensive servicing, warranty, repair and maintenance programing
- Demonstrated knowledge of management within a customer services environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience related to safety program methodology and its application.
- Demonstrated experience in project and inventory management; technical supervision; planning, organizing, and scheduling for procedural and operational methods.
- Demonstrated experience in budget and financial control; contract management.
- Demonstrated process management experience.
- Solid decision making, organizational and problem solving skills.
- Some knowledge of railway engineering regulatory requirements (i.e. AAR, AREMA, FTA, FDA, and FRA).
- Ability to recognize opportunities for change designed to address chronic issues and concerns.
- PC skills including word processing, spreadsheets and presentation software.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills in combination to administer effective presentations.
Amtrak At A Glance
Classet is a skilled trades network. Once you have applied, A Classet recruiter will reach out within 24 hours to learn more about your career search! Classet helps everyone from experienced crafstmen & women to eager apprentices find new opportunities. We are here to help you find the right fit for your career.